If you have begun the process of controller refresh and are moving from the generation that included the CT5508 to the latest that included the CT5520, you may need to upgrade code. If you’re running Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.x, you’ll need to upgrade. If your licenses are covered with a current maintenance agreement, the upgrade is at no cost. Here’s the process…
At the time I’m writing this, I recommend upgrading Prime Infrastructure to v3.1. A number of feature and performance enhancements have been made including a new database engine and inclusion HTML5 applets. You will come to love it quickly.
You can always start fresh. If you don’t have a bunch of maps loaded and don’t have a need to migrate a ton of data, you can always install a new instance of Prime Infrastructure and point it to your network devices. This way you can have the old and new instances running in parallel to ensure you’ve included everything you need.
If you prefer to maintain the maps and data there is a process that will make that all happen. The process requires intermediary steps from version 1.4 or 2.1. In order to go from version 2.1 follow this process:
- Upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2.x using the PI2.2 Quick Start Guide (if you’re on 2.2 already, skip this step). According to the Quick Start Guide, you can perform this task if you’re running the following:
- Prime Infrastructure 2.1.2 (with the UBF patch)
- Prime Infrastructure 2.1.1 (with the UBF patch)
- Prime Infrastructure 184.108.40.206.87
- Prime Infrastructure 1.4.2
- Prime Infrastructure 1.4.1
- Prime Infrastructure 220.127.116.11
- If you are using a version earlier than 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124.87, you will need to upgrade your server to version 126.96.36.199.87 (or version 188.8.131.52)
- Upgrade 2.2 to 3.0.x using the PI 3.0 Quick Start Guide. According to this guide you can perform this upgrade from the following versions:
- Prime Infrastructure 2.2.3
- Prime Infrastructure 2.2.2
- Data Center Technology Package 1.0.0 for Prime Infrastructure 2.2.1
- Wireless Technology Package 1.0.0 for Prime Infrastructure 2.2.1
- Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2.1
- Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2
- Upgrade to 3.1 (Details) using the PI 3.1 Quick Start Guide. According to this guide, you can upgrade from the following versions:
- Prime Infrastructure 3.0.3
- Technology Package 1.0.3 for Prime Infrastructure 3.0.2
- Prime Infrastructure 3.0.2
- Prime Infrastructure 3.0.1
- Prime Infrastructure 184.108.40.206
If you are running a version not listed above I suggest starting with the Quick Start guide of the version you ultimately want to be at. There you will find a section called “Upgrading From Previous Releases of Prime Infrastructure.” If your version isn’t listed there, then go to the next highest in that list and use that version’s Quick Start guide. Here are all of the Prime Infrastructure Quick Start Guides (also sometimes referred to as Installation Guides).
Expect the process to take several hours.